Philip K. Dick wrote some of his most important works in Orange County – which in many ways is a peculiarly Dickian space, with managed communities and a veneer of the unreal. His late novels seem at least partly inspired by his life here, and panelists will explore this connection.
Jonathan Alexander, UCI English professor and campus writing coordinator, will moderate. Panelists include:
- Gregory Benford, author of The Sunborn and UCI physics & astronomy professor;
- James Blaylock, author of The Shadow on the Doorstep, 1986 winner of the Philip K. Dick Award and assistant professor of English at Chapman University;
- Jeff Hicks, English doctoral candidate at UC Riverside;
- Rob Latham, editor of Science Fiction Studies and associate professor of English at UC Riverside; and
- Tim Powers, author of Last Call and two-time Philip K. Dick Award winner.
Humanities Gateway, Room 1030 (bldg. 611, grid E7 on campus map)