Scientists throughout California and in Australia celebrate Stem Cell Awareness Day Thursday, Sept. 25, to foster greater understanding about stem cell research and the range of potential applications for disease and injury.
The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine – the state’s stem cell research funding agency – and Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories in Victoria, Australia, are spearheading this special day.
At the UC Irvine Sue & Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center, excitement is building around the October celebration of milestones and stem cell education events. The highlight will be a groundbreaking ceremony for a new building dedicated to UCI’s fast-growing stem cell research program.
UCI activities include:
- Oct. 7: Newkirk Center. Fourth Annual Allen Lecture Series – Stem Cell Research: Current and Future Applications. With Peter Donovan, Sue & Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center co-director and developmental & cell biology professor. 7 p.m., Beckman Center. More: 949.824.9336 or email@example.com.
- Oct. 11: Sue & Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center and the California Parkinson’s Group. Stem Cell Research and Parkinson’s Disease: Making the Connection, a patient, physician and scientist symposium. 1-3 p.m., Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium. Free. R.S.V.P. to 949.824.2911 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Oct. 24: Sue and Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center. Groundbreaking for New Stem Cell Building. 10:30 a.m., dedication site adjacent to Hewitt Hall. Free. More: 949.824.2911 or email@example.com.
CIRM activities include:
- Sept. 25: CIRM Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee. Spotlight on Juvenile Diabetes. The regularly scheduled ICOC meeting will begin with a presentation on juvenile diabetes that will be webcast. 8 a.m.
- Sept. 25: Interactive online Q&A with California stem cell scientists. Stem cell researchers across the state will participate in a live chat moderated by CIRM’s Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Marie Csete. Scientists answering questions include Amander Clark of UCLA, Dr. Bruce Conklin of the Gladstone Institutes, Susan Fisher of UC San Francisco, Larry Goldstein of UC San Diego, Jan Nolta of UC Davis, and Renee Reijo Pera of Stanford. 3-5 p.m.
Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories is hosting a full day of Stem Cell Awareness Day activities Sept. 25.